« Home | 'Normal' People At The DMV... » | Sometimes, It's Worth It... » | A Lesson For Us All... » | Adding A Domain... » | Tough Day... » | Clemens Out Of Retirement... » | I Guess I'm Not That Smart... » | The Highwaymen... » | Prices Swell At Coors... » | We've Figured It Out... »

My Letter To The President...



Sometimes I'm envious of people who are in strong support of the war in Iraq, and even those who vehemently oppose it.

I get into trouble with an ability to argue both sides. I understand points made from either viewpoint, and even sympathize with the other perspective.

My foremost opinion is that I support the war. I don't completely agree with how it's been handled, or the President's arrogance to new ideas, but I believe our inclusion in the war is based on something good, which includes a lesson I was taught at a young age.

It's very noble to help someone in need, especially those who cannot protect themselves. With Saddam in power, people were tortured, raped, and murdered for no reason other than a sickening desire to do the unthinkable to another human being. Now that we've removed his regime and toppled any resemblance of a structure in place, we have to complete the job.

It hasn't been easy, and it doesn't look to get any easier. I do not, however, trivialize the lives of our soldiers. While I'm blessed to be protected by those serving in our nation's military, I am fortunate enough not to live with the constant worry of knowing a family member or friend is in harms way.

I simply want to know that if a person is going to put themselves at risk -- with the purpose of protecting me and my wife so we can sleep in peace -- that they're doing so for a noble cause.

I believe that being in Iraq, protecting other human beings from the wrath of a nefarious regime, is worthy of putting our soldiers at risk.

Even though I cannot know the pain of losing someone I love in battle, I do have the experience of losing a cousin very close to me, whom was very young at the time of his death. I think about the pain that I endure and empathize with families of fallen soldiers.

When I recollect on my pain from the loss of my cousin, I cry. I also imagine what the parents of a fallen soldier must feel, and it evokes the same emotion. To envision my wife or brother serving in Iraq or Afghanistan -- knowing that any moment could be their last -- is unthinkable.

If they have to be there, let it be for the right reasons. Protecting others who are unable to protect themselves, while training people to create an infrastructure allowing them to survive on their own, is the right reason.

Let's simply handle it correctly. Don't make our soldiers die in vain.

Labels: , ,

you made me cry :( Tonight was the first time that I have heard Tim McGraw sing that song. (on your myspace) Very emotion provoking. There have been a lot of songs about the war sung by country singers but that one is my favorite by far.

Post a Comment

Contact Me

Google Adsense



The Addiction


Join Me On Facebook