« Home | Are We Ever Gonna Buy A Home...? » | There's No Reason To Speak To You... » | Can The MLS Be Fixed...? » | The Records Are Changing... » | The Astros Dealing... » | Knock-Knock-Knockin' On Hammer's Door... » | A Hippie University Earns My Respect... » | My Task Is Complete... » | Bon Jovi Didn't Impress Me... » | My Exciting Life... »

He's Not A Cheater. Get Over It...


Since Barry Bonds began his serious chase to become the new home run king, my opinion has been significantly different than mainstream media. I've questioned my beliefs, revisited my feelings, but over the years, I've learned to trust my own judgement, and have stuck by my original opinion that I do not believe Barry Bonds is a cheater.

That doesn't mean I don't believe he's taken steroids -- I believe he has. I simply don't believe steroids is cheating.

ESPN.com has begun a series in which they explore cheating as it occurs in sports, as well as in our personal lives, and offers several interpretations on the subject. One particular article is very well written, and has brought my viewpoint back into perspective. Again, I have to reevaulate my beliefs.

Wayne Drehs, who is the writer of the article, makes several key points that refute my position.

If sports is supposed to be about dignity, respect, and character, where does that leave players like Barry Bonds and Terrell Owens?

My belief is simple: I don't believe steroids is cheating because it's a supplement taken to enhance ones performance. So are creatine products, protein shakes & bars, and estrogen inhibitors. Not all of them are legal.

It seems we have a double standard. Either you're enhancing your performance, or your not.

There's an ethical issue in sports that if it's not completely natural, then it's bad.

So why are cortizone shots legal? In Tommy John surgery, doctors take ligaments from other parts of your body and rebuild your elbow. Is that natural?

Did Hank Aaron break the record naturally? I don't know. I do know, however, that Mike Schmidt took "greenies" to enhance his performance on the field and accrue over 500 home runs. If there were a better performance enhancing drug, who's to say he wouldn't have taken it?

Why isn't Tiger Woods bombarded with criticism after having laser eye surgery to repair his vision? What's natural about having surgery to fix one's eyes?

My point is that any supplement can be harmful if abused. If you abuse alcohol or drugs, they're harmful, but drinking in moderation is socially acceptable, and even healthy! Steroids and hGH can both be benficial if handled correctly, and cause problems if misused.

What about the side effects? Steroids cause, among other things, "roid rage," liver damage, and shrinking testicles. I take a heart medication twice a day with side effects that include dizziness, mood swings, trouble breathing, and lots more. Each drug has side effects, but we weigh the risks of what the drug will do for us, versus the expected side effects. If it's a risk we're comfortable with, we learn to deal with it.

Don't try to tell me that people have died from steroids. There isn't a physician in the world who can speak with absolute certainty about the long-term effects of the drug. Lyle Alzado did not die from steroids, neither did professional wrestler Eddie Guerrero, though the causes of death may have been escalated by the abuse of steroids.

Again, notice the word abuse.

My favorite argument against steroids however, is simply the attitude that it's cheating, which is usually accompanied by a double standard in society today.

Before you call Barry Bonds a cheater, make sure you're not lying on your reports at work, cheating on your wife, or leaving the market after you know you've been under-charged. If you complain, make sure your life is in order first. It's hypocritical.

I believe there's a misconception in professional sports today. While little league and high school sports are about team building, growing one's character, and the effort put forth, professional sports is not. Major League Baseball, the NFL, and others are about entertaining its fans. If it were about character, "Pac Man" Jones wouldn't have the opportunity to be reinstated, Barry Bonds would have retired years ago, and much of the NBA would no longer be eligable to play.

Would I want my son taking steroids? No, but I also don't want him drinking alcohol until he's at a responsible age and educated about the consequences of doing so.

I want my son to play little league baseball and know what it's like to win and lose with dignity and respect, but by the time he's reached the pro's, his character should be built.

Labels: , , ,

You make some good points, but I do not celebrate Bonds for the same reason I would not celebrate the achievements of someone at work who won an award or promotion through unethical means either.

Looks like you've put a lot of thought into that, and I agree with some of your points...However, by definition (according to Merriam-Websters Dictionary) a cheater is: 1 a : to practice fraud or trickery b : to violate rules dishonestly...notice part B..."Violate rules." Hence, taking a substance banned by the league is a direct violation of rules, thus making Barry Bonds a cheater. =)

Ahh, but if MLB didn't have a rule against steriods then he wasn't cheating. So if he quit taking these drugs when MLB banned it, he wouldn't be 'violating rules'.

However, I'm pretty sure that all professional sports leages have language stating that taking illegal drugs is against their policy. So even if it wasn't specified, abuse of drugs such as HGH, testosterone, steroids, etc. was in fact violating league rules even if they didn't specifically test for them.

Of course there is the school that says, 'its not a crime unless you're caught'... but even if you are getting away with murder, you're still a murderer.

Post a Comment

Contact Me

Google Adsense



The Addiction


Join Me On Facebook