« Home | Take It As Scripture... » | Pretending To Be Important... » | Deep In The Heart Of The Race... » | Quickly... » | Blurring The Lines... » | iSaw The Light... » | A Little Perspective... » | Goodbye To The Marlboro Man... » | My FIrst Last... » | No Experience Or Education Required... »

Testing The Waters...

Education is great. While organized education like high school and college serve a fundamental purpose, it's empowering to research something you enjoy personally. You take so much from it.

And classes become a lot more enjoyable when those same topics you research are the very same subjects you're studying.

It's great to have finally found what interests me. Now, the question becomes, can I find a way to support a family with it?

I'll graduate in December with a Marketing degree. Since I've been in school for so long, I will leave with a minor in Music to show my first three years were not a waste of drinkin' money (or student loans). Then it's off to Denver.

I spoke to an old teacher from high school last week, Mr. Nelson Nolden, who is now working in administration for a school district nearby. He mentioned that the job market in Denver was not very promising, due to the growth Colorado is experiencing. That'll make you nervous!

As a member of the American Marketing Association, I have access to resources offered through the organization, and recently came across an article linked to CollegeJournal.com. You can find the article here. It was quite inspiring to me.

You see, since Mr. Nolden mentioned my future plight, I've begun considering alternatives. Maybe the obvious choice is to start my own business -- an advertising business. While that opens up many new obstacles, such as funding, time consumption, and hefty competition within the industry, I believe I'm up for the challenge.

Why start at the bottom? Why work my way to the top? Why expect small raises every year, or worry rather or not my job will be on the line if I don't meet quotas?

Of coarse, starting a business puts more on the line. My credit score, financial liability, and industry reputation are all based on my business being successful. But at least I'll be contributing to 'my' companies success -- not someone else's.

Is it feasible? Probably not.

Will the competition be fierce? Most definitely so.

But did Bill Gates conquor the world without taking risks? Or Jack Welch?

I'm not looking to make millions of dollars. Money is not my motivating factor, and my personal success is not based upon material possessions. While financial prosperity is a benefit, it is by no means the driving force.

How feasible is this? Should I seriously consider starting a business that is domintated by large companies with cutting edge technology?

Calculated risks -- it's all about preparation.

Labels: ,

Contact Me

Google Adsense



The Addiction


Join Me On Facebook