« Home | Playoff Environment... » | Investing 101... » | Will Racism Ever Go Away...? » | Easter Faith... » | Don't Blame Gillespie; You'd Do The Same Thing... » | Why MLB is Better Than The NFL... » | National League Preview... » | 5th Graders Having Sex...? » | Officially Living The Dream... » | Billy Donovan Would Be Crazy To Leave Florida... »

The Time Machine...

I've always had a fascination with my family history. It intrigues me to think my distant relatives could have fought and died at the Alamo or helped build the Hindenburg, but unfortunately, I have no records to trace.

My great-grandfather was in the navy during World War II, and during an attack by the German military, the ship in which he served was destroyed. Somehow he survived and still lives to this day. Unfortunately, he refuses to discuss the details or stories of his experiences.

I am very aware of his reservations to relive what he went through, but a selfish part of me would love to hear his perspective and carry that knowledge on to the next generation of my family.

I've seen the television ads for ancestry.com and spent a bit of time on the site this evening. While it's free to join, there is a monthly service fee of approximately $30 (depending on which package you choose) that I'm giving serious consideration. It offers teases into the records of your ancestry, but doesn't allow you to access them without first paying.

Maybe it's time I called my grandparents and had a conversation with them about my heritage, in detail.

It's fascinating.

Labels:

Contact Me

Google Adsense



The Addiction


Join Me On Facebook