« Home | More Hippie BS... » | One Day At A Time... » | I Just Don't Get It... » | Country At It's Best... » | Did You Really Not Already Know...? » | For A Car...? » | Cash And The Kitty... » | Don't Disrespect The Flag... » | Everyone Loves The Cowboys... » | Privacy, Please!! »

My Playlist... One Of Many...

Music makes my world sane.

The last couple of weeks haven't been my best. When I look internally to find out why, it appears I've gotten away from the music.

That needs to change.

Below are a few tracks you'll find on my iPod. In no particular order, I've included a few of my favorites.

Stevie Ray Vaughan - "Life By The Drop"
From the album, The Sky Is Cryin' which was compiled by Stevie Ray's brother Jimmie after his death, included songs never previously released.

"Life By The Drop" is about addiction, specifically about a friend of Vaughan's who chose to pursue his dream as opposed to drinking his life away. It's a 12-string acoustic solo, showing the model of what a 'blues' voice should sound like, along with perfect guitar technique. In the context of the album, it's a great song to cap a retrospective collection of music and close a brilliant career.

Bob Seger - "Turn The Page"
The song is a somber rendition about being a lonely musician traveling on the road. It strikes a chord with me for two reasons: (1) none of us like to be alone - it sucks, and it hurts; (2) also, as a sax player, it's nice to hear the horn used in rock & roll, especially in such a somber tone, which is my favorite sound the instrument can make.

Van Morrison - "Into The Mystic"
Absolutely, positively one of my two favorite songs (along with "Free Bird"). It's ambiguous, gorgeous, and haunting.

At times it's a love song. Other times, it's about a journey. Maybe it's about a journey to find true love, and "when that fog horn blows" he realizes he can't live without his one true love.

If my wife and I have a song, this is the one.

Dire Straits - "Your Latest Trick"
I'm quite positive this song is about the pain of a lost love, but the lyrics lead me to believe it includes a prostitute to help overcome that pain.

As mentioned above, the saxophone is another great example of how the instrument is to be played. The tone of the sax sets the mood, and Mark Knopfler translates it into lyrics.

Mark Chesnutt - "My Best Drinkin'"
Mark Chesnutt has some of the best "true" country music in his repertoire, and having the luxury of being his bartender on a few occasions, he's country to the grit.

In this song, he can't put down the bottle after a fight with the ol' lady -- what's more country than that?

Willie Nelson - "Family Bible"
One of Willie Nelson's gospel songs, it was also one of the first songs he ever wrote. It's been covered by several artists, but no one gives it more grace and feeling than Willie.

One of Willie's musical gifts was being able to create a picture with his lyrics, and "Family Bible" brings me to a time when life was slower, families were closer, and growing as an individual mattered.

Stereophonics - "Maybe Tomorrow"
I first heard this song during the closing credits of the movie Crash. The song leaves me with the sense that -- no matter what happens -- there's always another day.

Labels: ,

"Our Love" By Krokus, Amazing Song

Post a Comment

Contact Me

Google Adsense



The Addiction


Join Me On Facebook