« Home | I Have a Problem -- Or Do You...? » | Laundry Day... » | Donkies vs. Elephants... » | And They Begin Again... » | Sitting In Class... » | Driver's License Dilemma... » | The Best There Is, The Best There Was... » | Bartenders, Blenders, & Vindictive Grins... » | Female Understanding... » | Texas Hold 'Em... »

Tolerance, Religion, and 'The' Sensative Subject...

I can tell this is going to be a novel. Buckle up.

Well, my last blog did exactly what I thought it might do: stir up a few opinions. As of this writing, several people have expressed their views (very respectfully, I might add), and I feel as though they -- and everyone else -- are owed an explanation.

Before I start, please understand this: when youre in the market for a new car, you notice all the television and radio spots advertising car prices. Otherwise, you dont pay attention. Similarly, I had a bad experience with the Baptist church so I tend to gravitate to them quicker when I see, what I perceive to be, problems with the church. And, like everything else, people like Pat Robertson dont help, either. I simply find them very imposing.

Moving on.

Let's start with a little background, shall we?

First of all, I was raised Lutheran. The denomination itself was based on the teachings of Martin Luther, the man who is widely viewed as causing the Reformation. As for its teachings, it's very similar to Catholicism, but a bit more liberal. Our services consisted of readings from the Bible, song, lessons, and a sermon from our pastor. As part of our teachings, the sermon on Sunday morning always consisted of the Gospel, which is the "good news" of Christ's salvation.

Dictionary.com defines Gospel as: the proclamation of the redemption preached by Jesus and the Apostles, which is the central content of Christian revelation.

Notice, "proclamation of the redemption." We'll get back to that.

As I grew up, we would attend events like Hot Hearts, which was basically a large gathering of young Christians for an evangelism conference. Ages range from about 13-17. Because the Lutheran faith was all I grew up around, my ignorance blinded me to thinking that the way "we" had church, was just like everyone else. It wasn't until years later I learned how Catholic's conducted mass, or Methodists worshiped, or that Hot Hearts was basically a large Baptist service.

At 17, I started seeing a girl I would date for almost three years. She was very adamantly Baptist, and since my faith within the Lutheran church was beginning to deviate elsewhere, we started attending services with her home congregation regularly. Also, I began playing with a Christian rock band, and that took me to several Baptist churches and outside ministries. At this point, I had a very copious exposure to the church.

For me, the change was a welcome contrast to what I was receiving within the Lutheran faith, because it included more music, and was more upbeat than the traditional setting I was accustomed to.

But as time went on, I began noticing methods that I became more and more uncomfortable with. Differences in philosophy never bothered me. Arguing over whether or not the serving of the bread and wine should be called Communion or the Lord's Supper was irrelevant to me, just as were the specific beliefs the church taught. For me, I became my own educator. I wasn't going to allow the church to dictate how I felt or what I believed, but rather use them as a source or guide, and find out for myself.

My point, ultimately, was that it's not the doctrine of the church that bothered me, but rather their methods.

I noticed that the church was more concerned about what we were doing wrong in our lives as opposed to what the Lord did for us. I feel, often times, that it's more of a policing agent than a faith.

The attitude often turns negative, and the denomination is very intrusive. People want to know "why" you've missed church, or "what part of thou shall not don't you understand?". Baptists believe religions that dont agree as they do, such as Mormonism and Islam, are a cult! I had a man in church tell me that Catholicism was, as well! Who are they to tell these people theyre wrong for how they express their faith?

I understand the intent is to be a family, holding each other accountable, but in my experience, it goes beyond intrusive, and becomes down right offensive and judgmental.

Ryan, you asked if giving examples of scripture was strictly a Baptist thing: no it's not. In my experiences, though, it typically has a negative overtone from the Baptist and Pentecostal churches. Ive found that the scripture is often used by the church to reiterate what Im doing wrong. Keep in mind, I know very little about the Pentecostal faith.

You made a point that Catholics, Baptists, and Methodists all read from the same Bible. Not exactly.

While Protestants typically use the same Bible, Catholics read from something slightly different, which includes several books that the Protestants removed. There are other works, specifically the Apocryphal Works, that some Christians read, often times simply for context.

When a Baptist reads the Bible, he interprets things very differently than a Catholic, or Episcopalian, or Lutheran. Who's right? That's irrelevant for this discussion, but I don't want to be told I'm going to hell because from time to time I speak to Mary, believe Jesus was married, or believe Eve didn't really eat an apple. (Those are beliefs I do hold, personally. Don't be scared to ask why, as long as you ask with an open and respectful mind.)

You used the word hypocrite. I don't like that word. This could be a blog unto itself, but I make mistakes in my walk with Christ. I don't consider myself (or someone else for that matter) a hypocrite because I know where my heart is.

It's my responsibility to handle my own faith, not yours (directed to no one specifically). Yes, God told the church to minister to his people. Then minister. Don't intrude.

To be clear, this isn't a judgment on another denomination. It's simply my feelings toward it. It's for these reason I choose to worship elsewhere. Even though the church doesnt reach out to me, it may be exactly what someone else wants to maintain their faith. I understand and appreciate that.

I'm not against organized religion, nor do I feel as though Christianity or any of its sectors are holding back society. I am Christian, believe in God and Jesus, and believe (for the most part) in the Bible. As I got older, I began educating myself in my religion and have learned how much I don't know, and unfortunately, how much I'll never know.

I realize that my comments can sound disrespectful and harsh. Believe me when I say, that's the last impression I want to leave. I want my beliefs respected, therefore I'll respect yours, be it Muslim, Jewish, Mormon, or Methodist. Even though some faiths may not be for me, they do reach out to others and make a connection.

Just don't tell me I'm wrong for how I feel.

Labels: , ,

Contact Me

Google Adsense



The Addiction


Join Me On Facebook