« Home | My Playlist... One Of Many... » | More Hippie BS... » | One Day At A Time... » | I Just Don't Get It... » | Country At It's Best... » | Did You Really Not Already Know...? » | For A Car...? » | Cash And The Kitty... » | Don't Disrespect The Flag... » | Everyone Loves The Cowboys... »

My Favorites Are Better Than Your Favorites...

My iPod includes almost 5500 songs, and encompasses 1028 artists or bands.

As a boy learning music from my father, to barroom discussions while in college, the question of "greatest bands" has always intrigued me.

I have a young cousin entering high school who's in the process of learning guitar. While talking, he included Def Leppard and AC/DC amongst his favorite bands, yet had the audacity to disregard the Beatles and their contribution to music.

He's young... he'll learn.

I began deliberating about who I would rank as my favorite bands, and how much it's changed since I've become more educated in music.

Any list you find will include the Grateful Dead, Rolling Stones, the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd. I can't argue against any band from that list.

Most of them, however, were not influences of mine, and aren't in my personal top 10.

At the risk of disrespecting some of the greatest musicians, I've compiled a list (in no particular order) of 10 bands who have influenced me, rocked me, and inspired my life.

  • The Dave Matthews Band - the lyrics and creativity control my musical preference.
  • Aerosmith - the absolute greatest concert I've ever seen.
  • Def Leppard - the second greatest concert I've ever seen.
  • The Beatles - they changed music. That puts them on a very select list.
  • Lynyrd Skynyrd - down south, this is how we grew up.
  • Metallica - Black Sabbath created the genre of metal, and Metallica made it what it is today.
  • U2 - the most influential band of my generation outside of music.
  • Guns N' Roses - they burst onto the scene like very few others. When they arrived, their music became immortalized.
  • Jason Boland & The Stragglers - the one country band on this list, whom brought Texas Country Music into my life full time.
  • Earth, Wind, & Fire - the energy they bring, the soul they put forth, and the excellence of writing complicated syncopations includes them on this list.

    Honorable mentions include:
  • Maroon 5 - after only two albums (and fantastic ones at that), they just haven't been doing it long enough.
  • Bon Jovi - hard rock, pop rock, 80's rock -- who cares? In my generation, they were on top!
  • Journey - without Steve Perry, I can't imagine they're the same, but my father raised me on this band.
  • Blood, Sweat, & Tears - pure musicians.
  • Hall & Oates - these guys have soul!
  • Tower Of Power - horrible lyrics, but the best horn section in music.
You can disagree, and I'd love to hear it!

Labels: ,

you cant forget about Chicago. Like Aerosmith, they spanned four decades and are still popular among many different generations in both rock and jazz. Just a thought

A little bored today are ya?

No Pat Green?

BANDS... not singers.

So no Pat Green... or George Strait, Kevin Fowler, Elvis Presley, Van Morrison or Elton John.

That's a different blog unto itself.

Ok, well I am obviously the cousin. To correct you on this I am not learning guitar, I am improving on guitar, I have been playing guitar for 5 years. Therefore, like me and all of the guitarists in the world I am Improving on guitar. My learning stage is over. I agree with you that Def Leppard was one awesome concert, I was there. I also agree with the Beatles changing music, without them the rock and roll life would no be the same, but however, bands like AC/DC, Def Leppard, Journey, and others took there ideas and perfected them. Now I am apparently a litle more of a rocker than you, and have a litttle better taste in music(hahaha). But You can't say that your favorites are the greatst bands of all time, I could like the Ramones(they suck) and they can be on my top ten but not on my greatest bands list. You are trying to combine the two and it just does not work that way. YOU are not always correct, either am I.

KXGFf2 Very good blog! Thanks!

QB3DbS Thanks to author.

Nice Article.

Hello all!

Thanks to author.

Post a Comment

Contact Me

Google Adsense



The Addiction


Join Me On Facebook