« Home | Finding A Groove... » | I Laugh... » | Grand Theft Auto... » | I Love That Name... » | He's Not A Cheater. Get Over It... » | Are We Ever Gonna Buy A Home...? » | There's No Reason To Speak To You... » | Can The MLS Be Fixed...? » | The Records Are Changing... » | The Astros Dealing... »

More Mood Music...


Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds recently released another collaboration, this time originating from Radio City Music Hall in the heart of New York City.

It has a different feel than Live At Luther College, which was an album I would enjoy with a beer in one hand, a cigar in the other, and a peaceful evening ahead.

The idea seems to be the same, but the 26 tracks aren't exclusively acoustic. The two mix in a little piano and electric guitar, but a lot less "davespeak." Personally, I like hearing Dave -- even if the words are ridiculous.

The album opens with a fantastic arrangement of "Bartender," which has easily become one of my favorite tracks released by the band. The lyrics are fantastic, and with the belief that Dave is speaking to God as the bartender asking for redemption, it adds a level of peace to the music.

Personally, I've never been a fan of "Don't Drink The Water" (which is a sin in the eyes of DMB fans), but this recording may finally bring me around. A lot of songs shine when performed in an acoustic setting, like "Old Dirt Hill," "The Maker," "Some Devil," and "Gravedigger." Dave and Tim have an ability to put an entirely new spin on music.

As far as Tim Reynolds, he performance as brilliantly as expected. It amazes me to hear the type of sounds that a guitar can make. His skills are well versed to fans of the Dave Matthews Band, but very underrated to the rest of the music world.

The drawback to the album, however, is the new music. "Eh Hee," "Cornbread," and "Sister" are three songs that have yet to be released, but are currently being performed on their nationwide (minus Denver) tour. Maybe it's my reluctance to change, but I wasn't impressed on my first listen, but this isn't the first time I've experienced this with new music from Dave.

I couldn't listen to Stand Up when it was first released, now I can't get enough of several tracks from the album.

The Dave Matthews Band has a history of releasing live albums with lots of recycled music. Some of it get repetitive, but performing with Tim Reynolds allows Dave to add a different spin to the band's music. For great song selection, a beautiful musical ambiance, and a different take on some of the Dave Matthew's Band's best, Live At Radio City Music Hall is a must-have for fans of good music.

Labels: ,

Contact Me

Google Adsense



The Addiction


Join Me On Facebook