« Home | Utter Disrespect... » | No Chubbies... » | Why Not Have Season Tickets...? » | Doggie Vids... » | My Favorites Are Better Than Your Favorites... » | My Playlist... One Of Many... » | More Hippie BS... » | One Day At A Time... » | I Just Don't Get It... » | Country At It's Best... »

If I Haven't Played, I'll Never Understand...

Working for a company that owns several professional sports franchises is fantastic, and it's making me appreciate sports I never thought I'd follow.

Mainly hockey.

The Colorado Avalanche are a blast to watch, and luckily, we have a successful history (it's nice to say "we" and actually be a part of it).

My knowledge of the sport, however, is that of a neophyte.

Luckily, hockey fans aren't reserved when talking about their sport. They're very proud of their history, and are willing to discus the past and explain the rules with much gusto.

But will I ever fully understand the sport?

I'm most comfortable with baseball - the history, strategy, rules, etc; but growing up, I played baseball, and followed MLB very closely.

The question becomes: can a person fully understand the ideology of a sport without having played it?

I don't believe so.

Aristotle once said, "One must learn by doing the thing, for though you think you know it, you have no certainty until you try." So if you haven't tried - or played - you'll never know.

I'll buy that. I may learn hockey, but I can't imagine I'll every fully grasp the sport.

Labels: , ,

Contact Me

Google Adsense



The Addiction


Join Me On Facebook