« Home | As I See It... » | Houston Means That I'm One Day Closer To You... » | Mile High Magic... » | Bold Moves -- Hopefully... » | Testing The Waters... » | Take It As Scripture... » | Pretending To Be Important... » | Deep In The Heart Of The Race... » | Quickly... » | Blurring The Lines... »

Keeping Perspective...

Sometimes I just want to wrap my friends and protect them from everything that hurts.  It's very disheartening to know you can't always help.  No matter what you say, or what you do, nothing seems to make it better.

That's my downfall.  I feel as though I should always have an answer -- or a solution.

Three friends are recently going through tough times, and there's nothing I can do about it.  When Nate was in his motorcycle accident, people that care about him are left with such a hollow feeling watching him on his hospital bed, knowing nothing we do will make him better.

There's an Allstate Insurance commercial that explains how the tires, brakes, bumper, etc. were all made to make the car safer... except for the driver.  That driver was Nate.

He was wearing a helmet, gloves, protective jacket, and the bike is designed to withstand certain accidents.  What the manufacturer couldn't predict was his irresponsible driving.  I'm so mad at him for the dumb mistake, but who's to say I won't make that very same one?

Someone I care about very much is going through a difficult break-up, while she hopes to discover herself.  At 23, she's never been single, and the idea of being alone scares everyone.  Your first instinct is always to run back and make it all beter, but too many relationships have made that mistake.  If there were problems you couldn't handle the first time, they'll likely be there the next time.

Be strong, because it's not supposed to be easy.

My third friend (and a new friend, I might add), has it tough going through cancer treatment.  To make it worse, she's going through it alone.  Imagine what it's like to deal with something so serious -- but try it with no one to emotionally support you.  Somehow our problems become a little less problematic.

Sometimes I feel selfish when I appreciate everything that I have.  A woman whom I love very much, who also loves me, graduation coming around the corner, friends who've always been there, family who shows unconditional love, a job that allows me to drop everything and spend 8 days in Denver during an emergency, and a God who I truly believe watches over me.

Why am I so lucky but others aren't?I suppose the main difference is perspective.  I have the same problems everyone else does, only I know I'll get through it.  Not because I want to get through them, but because I have to get through them.  And if I'm any judge of character, all three of my friends will do the same; and in the end, they'll be stronger for it.

Only I wish I could snap my fingers and make it all disappear.

Labels: ,

Contact Me

Google Adsense



The Addiction


Join Me On Facebook