« Home | Finding My Folly... » | Tap The Rockies... » | What Makes College Football Great... » | It Just Doesn't Stop... » | Gettin' Kinky In Texas... » | Deep In My Heart... » | Go Crazy Folks, Go Crazy... » | Chuggin' Along... » | What's A Guy To Do...? » | Keeping Perspective... »

Big-Boy Shoes...

I've spent the last four years of my life trying to develop a resume that makes potential employers interested in speaking to me. The trick, I thought, was to separate myself from competition with internships, volunteer activities, Fortune 100 companies, job stability, and professional organizations. Apparently I was wrong.

While in Denver, I was lucky enough to land an interview with Smith Barney.

Here's a bit of background: Smith Barney is a Fortune 100 company, and in many lists, is often ranked #1. As a subsidiary of Citigroup, Smith Barney is a financial services firm that specializes in trading securities (stocks, bonds, etc.).

From December 2005 to May 2006, I interned with Smith Barney while working under a Financial Advisor, and because I enjoyed my job, the limitless (and I truly mean limitless) income possibilities, entrepreneurial atmosphere, benefits, and determination for success that drives me, I know it will be a great career choice -- if I get the job.

I had an interview scheduled with the Branch Manager on the 28th floor of the Republic Building on 17th Street in the heart of downtown -- the tallest building in Colorado. The 16th Street Mall is accessed from the south entrance of the building. It could not be a better location.

As we spoke, he asked several open-ended questions, told me a bit about what he expects from his employees, but proceeded to let me know that the typical unexperienced candidate was a businessperson who was leaving another field, such as doctors, lawyers, and salesman looking for a career change. Typically, undergrad students nearing completion of his/her degree isn't ideal. I understood -- they lack real world experience. I can't offer him 10 years in the business world with a track record of building trust and acquiring million dollar assets.

After the interview process was over, we talked. He explained to me that he was old-fashioned and believed first impressions were important, then, to my appreciation, told me he liked me, thought the interview went very well, and he was interested in moving the hiring process to the next step.

But...

He wanted to see from me, "a record of success." He wanted to see that I knew who I was, and knew where I was going. He claimed to not doubt my drive and ambition, but said that, in order to protect his investments (his employees and the company), that I needed to be sure to know it was exactly what I wanted to do.

He asked, "How are you going to overcome your lack of real-world experience?"

Great question -- he's very cerebral, and I couldn't ask for a better opportunity.

Now here's the trick: I must look into my past and show him I've been successful in different aspects of my life -- but what is he looking for?

Does he want to hear that in 2005-2006 I worked 50 hours a week with three jobs (Carrabba's, Smith Barney intern, and Disney Recruiter), while only one paid -- on top of taking 18 credit hours in school? Or that in 2002, I was subcommittee chairman of the most success event in Lamar University Homecoming history (minus the basketball game)?

But the most revealing part of the interview came next -- and was a complete punch-in-the-gut.

I mentioned the hard work and pride that I put into my resume, and he stopped me, then politely and respectfully told me that the resume did absolutely nothing to get the interview.

Wow. That hurt.

He said that my cover letter and persistent phone calls -- including a complimentary phone call from my employer at Smith Barney in Beaumont -- was what got me in the door.

He was right -- what real experience can I offer him? Promises to try my best? He needs to see results, and because of my age, I simply can't offer that.

So now I have to dig in my past and find results. I've never kept a journal of my accomplishments, but many career-building books recommend to do just that -- I should have. My resume is about to get a facelift.

He said it was up to me whether or not we moved forward -- that's a challenge, and I'm not scared of a challenge. Now it's time to rise up.

Labels: ,

Contact Me

Google Adsense



The Addiction


Join Me On Facebook