« Home | Tap The Rockies... » | What Makes College Football Great... » | It Just Doesn't Stop... » | Gettin' Kinky In Texas... » | Deep In My Heart... » | Go Crazy Folks, Go Crazy... » | Chuggin' Along... » | What's A Guy To Do...? » | Keeping Perspective... » | As I See It... »

Finding My Folly...

It was good to see Nate this weekend. Many of my friends have asked about his health after the accident, and I can now tell you, first hand, that he's doing great and recovering well. He still has a long road ahead, but it's become a lot less bumpy.

Physical therapy every day appears to be hard. Being 1,200 miles away, knowing there's little I can do, is hard, as well. Hopefully Rebecca and I were able to offer him a change of pace from the continuous administration of pain medicine, stretching, and television re-runs.

Each of us learn lessons in our daily lives, and Nate's accident has been one of the most important I've learned in quite a while.

Not only because I ride a bike myself, and his accident could have easily happened to me, in addition to the fact that life is more fragile than we can imagine, but I've learned that no matter how busy we become with schoolwork, careers, and extracurricular activities, there's nothing more important than family and friends. With Nate, he's become both -- my best friend, as well as a brother.

No one needs to understand more than me, that we need balance in our lives between work and play. I truly believe that each of us needs to work hard, and intend to keep working in order to provide a comfortable life for my family; but we need an escape, as well. Enjoying a movie with my fiance, a conversation with Nate, or a beer over a baseball game keeps me sane. I should dedicate more time to Rebecca, and keep up with what goes on in Nate's life. I can do both with a beer. Fairly soon, after Nate's rehab, I'll be able to do all three at the same time.

I can't wait for that.

While in Colorado, we drove north of Denver to Fort Collins for a tour of the New Belgium Brewery -- the makers of Fat Tire. While on the tour, the guide mentioned one of the components of their business was to "find your folly." By folly, he meant a way of enjoying life, and he stressed to each and every one of us that we should enjoy what we do in every degree of our lives.

Everything happens for a reason, and my folly sits a Mile High above the ground at the edge of the Rocky Mountains with my future wife and best friend nearby.

I'm blessed -- truly blessed.

Labels: ,

Contact Me

Google Adsense



The Addiction


Join Me On Facebook